Dogs

1 11, 2019

Keep pets happy and calm this Guy Fawkes

By |November 1st, 2019|Cats, Dogs|0 Comments

Guy Fawkes can certainly be an enjoyable event, however this time of year can also be a very traumatic time for our pets, there’s no doubt about that.

15 10, 2019

Back to back emergency C-sections make for a busy day at the office

By |October 15th, 2019|Dogs, Sheep, Uncategorized|0 Comments

It was all hands on deck on Tuesday last week, with not one but two emergency C-Sections performed successfully in the space of a couple of hours. The lives of both the animals (a sheep and a Rottweiler cross) depended on the emergency C-sections and it’s fair to say what started as a relatively quiet Tuesday morning turned into a very unique situation.

29 09, 2019

Early socialisation of puppies

By |September 29th, 2019|Dogs|0 Comments

Early socialisation is vital to ensure a balanced and well-behaved adult dog – current thinking is that many young dogs are put down because of behavioural problems that could be prevented by early socialisation.

18 09, 2019

Top Tips: Keeping on top of Ticks

By |September 18th, 2019|Cats, Dogs, Uncategorized|0 Comments

Ticks are an external parasite that attach to the skin and feed on the blood of our animals. They are quite slow moving and cannot jump; they rely on crawling onto their host. When a tick feeds, they attach and do not release themselves from the host (animal) until they are full.

5 09, 2019

Watch out for Worms – Out of sight, out of mind?

By |September 5th, 2019|Cats, Dogs|0 Comments

It’s easy not to think too much about the worms our furry friends might be carrying around. They’re usually out of sight, living in your pet’s intestines as adults or travelling around their insides as migrating larvae.

1 08, 2019

Keeping our pets safe in the home

By |August 1st, 2019|Cats, Dogs|0 Comments

There’s been some media attention lately around salt lamps and the harm they can do to your pet. Cats and dogs are known to like salty things and sodium poisoning can cause plenty of unwanted outcomes. The salt lamp stories got some of the team here at Tauranga Vets talking and yes, salt lamps do pose a risk to our pets, however we could all think of much more common household hazards that could land your pet at the vets!

11 07, 2019

Longer, healthier and happier lives for Kiwi Pets

By |July 11th, 2019|Cats, Dogs|0 Comments

Future generations of Kiwi pets will hopefully live longer, healthier and happier lives thanks to the work of a charity supported by Tauranga Vets. Tauranga Vets has supported Healthy Pets New Zealand for over a year now, in a partnership where the business and its generous clients donate money for research into improved health and welfare. The charity is run by veterinary professionals who give their time and care deeply about the health and well-being of Kiwi pets.

30 01, 2018

How do you look after you new Kitten or Puppy?

By |January 30th, 2018|Cats, Companion Animals, Dogs, Puppy, Uncategorized, Vaccination|0 Comments

Everyone loves puppies and kittens.. but the first year sure is a busy one! We’ve put together a few pointers to help you get started.

Vaccinations are extremely important and protect against diseases that can be fatal. At a vaccination appointment, puppies and kittens receive a full health check and they are also checked for heart disease, hip dysplasia, knee abnormalities, hernia’s, retained baby teeth, undershot/overshot jaws and retained testicles! You will also be given

14 11, 2017

Is your pet up to date with their vaccinations?

By |November 14th, 2017|Cats, Dogs, Vaccination|0 Comments

Vaccinations protect against infectious and potentially life threatening diseases. It can be difficult to know what your pets should be vaccinated against, and when you should vaccinate. Below is a brief summary to help you out:
Puppies and kittens
Kittens and Puppies usually need a series of three vaccinations to establish a good level of immunity. The final vaccination is given when your pet is about 14 – 16 weeks of age.
Adult cats and dogs
Adult cats and

18 09, 2017

Fleas – Understanding and Treating Fleas

By |September 18th, 2017|Cats, Companion Animals, Dogs, Flea Treatment, Fleas|0 Comments

The issue with Fleas:
Fleas are irritating pests causing pets to itch and scratch, damaging the skin.   Some pets are allergic to the flea’s saliva making them intensely itchy with a single bite.   It is estimated that flea-related diseases account for almost 50% of skin problems reported to veterinarians.

The adult fleas that you see are only the tip of the iceberg – estimated to be 5%. The other 95% are in the form of invisible

Find us on Facebook Find us on Facebook